Moroccan Quinoa Salad
Serves 2-4. Takes 20mins plus 1 hour chilling time
175g/6oz BiOFAIR Organic Quinoa Grain
500ml/just under 1pt hot stock - made with 2 level tsp vegan bouillon powder or vegan stock cubes
2 lemons: zest from 1, juice from 1-2
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1tsp Biona Organic agave syrup
1 tin Biona Organic Chick Peas 400g
1 tin Biona Organic Sweetcorn 340g
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 carton fresh cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
1 Handful of pitted green or black olives
Add just before serving:
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp plain soya yoghurt per person
1 hot wholemeal pitta bread per person
Biona Organic Harissa Relish on the side (optional)
1. Cook the quinoa by dry roasting in a heavy bottomed saucepan . Then add the hot stock and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally - add a little more hot water if it starts to stick.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, orange juice, cumin, salt and sugar in a small bowl to make the dressing.
3. Combine the quinoa and all remaining ingredients, except fresh herbs, into a medium-sized bowl.
4. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss to combine
5. Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavours to combine. Add fresh herbs just prior to serving. May be served at room temperature.
6. Warm pitta bread through about 10 minutes before serving. Serve salad with the pitta, a dollop of yoghurt on the top - and a little harissa relish if you like things a little spicy!
Recipe courtesy of The Big-D: defeating diabetes with the D-Diet. Published by the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaigns/diabetes/guide/index.html