Vegan Chocolate Orange Ginger Truffles
Makes 14 Balls
Prep: 45 minutes
1 cup pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1 tbsp orange zest
2 tbsp Biona agave syrup
2 tbsp Biona orange juice
2 tbsp chopped 70% dark chocolate, melted (we used ombar)
120g raw cacao powder
For the truffle coatings:
1 tbsp raw cocao powder
2 tbsp dark chocolate shavings
2 tbsp raw cocoa nibs
1/4 cup chopped 70% dark chocolate + 1/2 tsp Biona coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp orange zest
1. Soak the dates, drain and then add to a food processor
2. Add the avocado, agave syrup, orange juice and melted chocolate to the food processor with the dates and process for 1-2 minutes, stopping ocassionally to scrape down the sides with a spatula, until the mixture starts to become smooth.
3. Next, add the cocoa powder and process again for 1-2 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides until everything is thick, smooth and well combined.
4. Using a spatula transfer the mixture from the food processor to a bowl.
5. Place the bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill, allowing the truffle mixture to harden.
6. Meanwhile, take 3 small plates and place the coating ingredients on each plate. (Cocoa powder, chocolate shavings and cocoa nibs)
7. Melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil and transfer to a small bowl, then set aside.
8. When the truffle mixture has chilled for the full 30-minutes, remove from the freezer and using clean, slightly wet hands (this will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands), roll the mixture into 1" balls, working quickly as to not warm the mixture up too much with your hands.
9. Place the truffles on a large plate and then roll each truffle into one of the coating options and set back on the plate.
10. Place all the coated truffles back into the freezer until ready to serve.
11. Allow the truffles to thaw for 5-10 minutes and sprinkle with a pinch of orange zest before serving.
**To coat the truffle in the melted chocolate, use a small toothpick for easier coating and less mess, the chocolate coating will harden very quickly once on the cold truffle.